What you can do:
1) Call the White House--
Read President Bush's Speech
2) Support divestment and learn what you can do to keep your money from funding the genocide:
Let Senator Cornyn know you support the
Ask Senator Hutchison to support the Sudan Divestment Authorization Act of 2007 (S. 831) introduced by Senator Cornyn.
Tell your state representative that you support Texas' divestment from companies doing business with the government of Sudan (HB 1569). Find your Representative
Learn more about divestment (and perhaps work to personally divest):
3) Contribute to humanitarian aid through the International Medical Corps--specify Chad/Darfur on the drop-down menu. Pictures of refugees on this page were taken at an IMC refugee camp in Chad.
4) Host a Gathering Against Genocide (GAG) in your home or at the San Antonio Holocaust Museum. These events are designed to educate others about what is happening in Darfur and spur them to action. You might show the movie Hotel Rwanda, then hold a letter writing session. Or, hold a "Dinner for Darfur" where you ask your guests for donations for humanitarian aid. There are endless opportunities for action. Be creative. The more people working to end this crisis, the more effective we will be.
5) If you are a gallery or restaurant owner or manager and would like to spread the word about Darfur, contact us about displaying photographs of refugees, taken by Caesar Ricci. We have framed, high-quality photographs ready for display. Help spread the word! Email SAIDC@earthlink.net for information.
6) Come to the next SAIDC meeting (May 22) to learn about what we have in the works, and contribute your ideas!